Follow on Twitter

Friday, November 30, 2012

Meta Responses and other information from the week

This week we started a new literary unit. Students will write a realistic fiction story. In reading, we will continue to practice comprehension reading strategy. In addition, we will look at character change, plot conflict, the theme to deepen our understanding of what we read. This weeks we read several books and used graphic organizer to figure about character attributes and the elements of a story. On Friday we dance to rap about the elements of fiction.

On the back of each week's reading log, there is a Meta-Response prompt. The meta-response lets students write about what they are thinking as they read. A good meta response not only gives a specific example from the book, but also explains why that connection was made. The top response(s) of this week are copied below:


When I was reading: "Diary of a Wimpy Kid"  I thought about "how he sat around and played video games and movies. I understand he would do that because I've done that myself."
When I was reading: "Dog Son", I thought about: "if I shot a deer with a bow by myself I would be as proud as Russel was."

When I was reading: "Tangerine" I thought about: "a text to world connection. My connection is in the book [where] there was a sinkhole and there was a hurricane named Sandy that hit the East coast. The sinkhole was also on the East coast."

Encourage each other to talk about what you are thinking AND why you are thinking that as you read in addition to the plot of the story!

Happy Trails,
Mr. Rabinowitz

No comments:

Post a Comment